Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Your Japanese Name for iOS, part 19

Entering a name now turns it into katakana!



I thought showing the characters vertically is just the same as horizontal, but actually it isn't. The vowel elongation character needs to be turned 90 degrees so it goes up-down instead of left-right. Also I'm missing proper consonant doubling character. Luckily it's the same as the "TSU" sound except a bit smaller, so I can just scale the TSU graphics I already have. Still need to test it more, should probably try to make it show every possible character to make sure it doesn't crash on anything and to see that characters are properly positioned. I'm guessing some of the smaller characters won't be displayed properly. But maybe I should work on some other part of this program now. Curious about how email will work.

I use the chrome browser. It doesn't work well with iTunes Connect site which is used to look at these graphs, so I wrote a Chrome extension that fixes iTunes Connect sales graph. I'm checking my sales stats for Acey Deucey every day. It's crazy, I thought sales would be zero, but instead I've been getting a sale or two every day. I can buy two delicious peanut butter sandwiches every week with this. Well, the government will eat at least half of the other sandwich.



Learned that it's possible to attach an image to an email as long as I save it as a file first. To get this file, I can turn the graphics context into an image and then perhaps do
NSData *imageData = UIImagePNGRepresentation(image);

I'm not sure if I should though. Pros are that the user might be more likely to send an email if the image is nicely displayed already in the preview. Cons are that it will require a bit more bandwidth from the user, only a few kilobytes though. Probably the user will not perceive this to be much, but who knows. Unknown if the recipient will find it less or more appealing to click through if the email already has an image or not. It might not be even displayed by default. Hmm.. probably easier and more reliable to just provide a link to an image in the mail, rather than the image itself. That's how e-cards work. Actually I should probably look at the layout of the emails some e-card companies send to get an idea what works.

Interesting, http://www.123greetings.com/ has an option for "Let me know when the receiver views this ecard". Maybe I should take this opportunity too to contact the sender again? And they just send a link to the site, so OK that's the best way to go. Where should the link lead though? Probably some page that shows the result and a link to the application. Most recipients probably wouldn't have an iPhone. Should probably indicate that the recipient doesn't need one.

I just sent you "Jackie" in Japanese.

You can view it by clicking here:
http://...

Keep it simple!