Friday, December 10, 2010

Your Japanese Name for iOS, part 17

Getting really tired of this project, but I'm going to finish it like a boss. What upsets me is that this turned out to be more work than I expected, but still the upside is very small. Maybe I picked the wrong risk-reward ratio here. Well, at least I'm learning a lot.

Inside my UISlider I'm adding a bunch of my own KatakanaView objects that render the SVGs I drew. Next I'll have to add support for variable sized characters. That means that the owner of the KatakanaView should decide the width, but KatakanaView decides the height and reports it back to the owner.

... why is the background of my UIView black, even though I'm not drawing it so?

Ah the backbuffer for a view gets initialized to zero by default. Have to set backgroundColor to UIColor clear and opaque to NO.



Basically it works, even calculates proper distance between views vertically. Now the characters are too small though. I can't just maximize each character horizontally, because they need to be consistent with each other. Might suffice to just experimentally increase size until it looks good.